Friday, May 2, 2008

My Deck Keyboards Expierience

I want to let everyone know NOT TO EVER purchase a Deck Keyboard from Deck Keyboards (TG3)

I purchased a Deck Legend ICE approximately 9-10 months ago.

About 5-6 months after having the keyboard it started to develop double keystroke typing.

I contacted Deck Support and explained my problem... they proceeded to talk down to me about modding my keyboard or damaging the board, I told them I have not modded my board and only problems would be normal wear and tear.... they still insisted that I had caused the problem and I had twist an arm to get them to issue an RMA...

RMA only for Repair that is... after the warranty is up (1 year) for a 160$ keyboard they will charge you 60$ minimum for out of warranty support.

I am a busy person... as most of us are... I did not get to send the board in right away.

I called about 30 days after the RMA number was given to me to make sure the number was still valid and to tell them I was sending it in. I said to the guy "Adam" Do you guys test the boards thoroughly because the problem doesn’t occur all the time... and with varying keys... i f h s w... he said "you have the double key issue"....? This is prior to him digging up my account.

They damn well knew about the problem and still gave me a hard time when i was first asking for the RMA.

here is their warranty disclaimer...

-------

Please keep in mind that your Deck keyboard is a precision electronic device and should be treated like one. Please avoid spilling food, liquid, ashes, hair, or anything else into your Deck as this may void your warranty.

Final determination of warranty coverage to be made by TG3 Electronics.

---------

With this disclaimer they can void your warranty for ANY reason... hence the word *anything* else into your deck.

I sent my keyboard in and 28 days later I receive the board with a letter in the box telling my Warranty has been voided because of *debris* in the board... smelled of smoke, traces of ashes, and dust. Now, yes I smoke cigarettes, its a vice I know, but has never caused any issue with any other keyboard I have ever owned. Thier exact words in the letter were *traces of ash* .... not ash... I do not use my keyboard as an ashtray. So, It might as well been dead skin that has fallen off my fingers... because that VOIDs your warranty if they so see fit...

This company TG3 supposedly make Keyboards for Fire and Police units. I would like to see how a firehouse reacts when they void a warranty because of traces of ash and smelling of smoke.

What is also interesting to note here is that when I initially received this very spendy keyboard it came in a thin cardboard box. Literally just in the box, the board barely fits... with no bubble wrap, nothing, not even a cardboard shell to hold the board in place in the box.... well that wasn’t needed because the keyboard was just crammed in there. I commented about this to Deck and said you guys should really consider a better packaging method... with this cheap package the board could be easily damaged by delivery services. The "Deck Girl" said "our keyboards are tough" ... well apparently not... a little second hand smoke voids the warranty.... and if we are following the quoted warranty above, Deck actually voids the warranty as soon as they ship your order.

I want everyone to know this! I feel terrible I spent the extra money on this board only to be treated like complete garbage by Adam @ Deck and TG3 in general.

Next step... BBB complaint.

Please take my experience into careful consideration if you are looking at purchasing a Deck Keyboard.

If you have had a bad expierience with Deck Keyboards or TG3, feel free to post some comments.

Thanks for reading...

7 comments:

Dr. Ewfus said...

I love my Deck, I really do. But I once spilled gin & tonic on it and made a mess of the thing. I tried calling them up to get them to fix it. Of course, they explained it would be $60 even if they decided it was out of warranty and declined to fix it. Considering I bought the 82-key I decided it wasn't worth it. After three calls to different people, I was only pleased with one of my conversations. In the end I broke out the soldering iron and fixed some bad leads. Thanks Deck, it seems you have no hesitations throwing devoted customers into the trash.

The Fighting Consumer said...

Andrew,

Sorry to say I am not suprised that you were treated like garbage.

What deck doesn't understand is they are burning the very customer base they should be trying to build.

Even though the damage to your Deck was technically "your fault" they still proceded to treat you like garbage all the while trying to sell you thier repair services.

Sounds like you need a small keyboard... Try a Logitech Dinovo Edge.

I have one for the Downstairs HTPC and it is simply awesome. Dont pay full sticker for it. Search around you can find one for 75 - 125$ bucks.

Joe B. said...

I also have a Deck keyboard that doubles some keystrokes. Mine has no ash, hair, liquid or other debris anywhere on or inside it. It has misbehaved since about six months after I received it.

I called Deck about it and they had "never heard" of anything like my board's problem. The problem is intermittent and I have low confidence it would be observed and fixeed if I sent it in (see? it just did it again).

I like the board OK, but I doubt I would ever buy another. I have not had any other board with this level of problems from other makers.

The Fighting Consumer said...

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=529

An example on their own forums...

LOL... what a terrible company.

DSAngal said...

I have two Deck 105-key keyboards, one with red LEDs and one with blue. I've used the red, but kept the blue in its box in a closet since I bought it a couple of years ago, pending the day I bought an additional, new, computer.
That day has come, and I took the blue keyboard out today to use. Problem is, several of the keys require that you press HARD on them to get them to register, while the 'a' key produces a string of 'a' characters no matter how carefully it's pressed.
Based on others' comments, I'm hesitant to contact Deck because it sounds like they're of that arrogant geek breed that can't conceive that they'd ever be in error, and treat people with keyboard issues as ignorant, to blame, or both.
My keyboard is out of warranty, of course, and although it's been in its box since it arrived, Deck's policy is to charge a minimum $60 for repairs.
I really don't need that sort of treatment; I can easily get it somewhere else. I think I'll toss the Deck and buy Logitech.

Unknown said...

I've been hating my Deck keyboard since day 1. I can't reformat my PC using it, it's not seen and I have to use an old 12 dollar keyboard on reformats until all the drivers are installed. jeesh that screwed me up bad the first time. Then also my board has always double strokes on several keys and the etching on the keys is poorly detailed and many characters hard to actually define in the dark even with the board lit on highest setting. It's pretty much ruined now from smacking it around under extreme frustration. I'm here because I'M keyboard shopping and decided to search if others were having same issues. My board WAS the red one...it's going to be smashed and trashed upon replacement.

The Fighting Consumer said...

I hear ya Tyrone. Thier products are trash to this day.